Friday, September 19, 2008

An observation

Sneeze in front of a dog. Sneeze a few times. Sneeze loudly.

I think the chances are pretty good that the dog will look at you with sympathy and maybe even whimper a little, as if to say, “Yeah, I been there, too, pal.” Maybe the dog will offer to buy you a drink.

Do the same thing in front of a cat. (Which, by no coincidence at all, I did yesterday.) The cat will give you a stern, uncomprehending stare, as if to say, “How dare you distract me from my contemplation of that squirrel outside the window?” And don't waste your breath pointing out that it wasn’t you who coughed up three hairballs within the last week.

This is not to say that I favor dogs over cats; I’ve lived with cats, and I’ve been on very good terms with a number of dogs.

But once in a while, a “Gesundheit” would be nice.

No comments: