Sunday, March 31, 2013

I'm obviously not in this for the money -- right?

Once in a while I do a Google search for "Murphy's Craw" to see how many hits I get and what they are.

A few weeks ago I noticed something I hadn't seen before.

A site called Web Stats Domain had evaluated this blog.

I didn't understand most of the stats -- they involved mysterious words such as "backlink" and "alexa rank." To say nothing of "organic keywords."

But there was one stat that I did understand -- at least on a superficial level.

It turns out that according to Web Stats Domain, the estimated "worth" of this site, in U.S. dollars, is $351.

Yep, $351.

I've been running this blog for five and a half years, and this is all I have to show for it?

And of course I'm also wondering:

Who appraised my blog?

How did they come up with that appraisal?

Why $351 -- instead of, say, a nice round number like $350? Did the appraiser throw in an extra buck just to make me feel better?

Is there some sort of stock exchange thingy for blogs? Kind of like what the Chicago Mercantile Exchange used to have for pork belly futures?

(Which reminds me that I used to think that a famous Chicago author would have been a natural for that kind of trading -- doesn't "Saul Bellow's Sow Bellies" have a nice ring to it?)

And all of this leads to another question:

Is there someone out there who's been buying up blogs?

Kind of like the way Warren Buffett has been buying up newspapers? (In my case, Warren could probably buy "Murphy's Craw" for a song -- probably even for the first five bars of "Down by the Old Mill Stream.")

I don't know how to find the answers to these questions, but if any of you folks out there can give me the merest hint of a clue, please feel free to write in.

In the meantime, as I was getting ready to write this item, I did another Google search for "Murphy's Craw" and found that another site, urlpulse, has also rated this blog.

This rating includes even more obscure terms -- among them "cache-control," "transfer-encoding" and (my favorite) "nosniff."

It also says my blog's rank in the U.S. is 12,412,065. Worldwide, it ranks 26,117,579.

Don't sugarcoat it, urlpulse.

And look at the bright (if cliched) side: I have nowhere to go but up.

But once again, there is one figure that I do understand and which leaps out at me.

According to urlpulse, the estimated worth of my blog is....

Drum roll, please....

$728.16!

Take that, Web Stats Domain! (And while you're at it, WSD, please notice that urlpulse threw in that extra 16 cents!)

And now I'm beginning to get excited.

Because there's obviously, in the blog-trading underground, a bidding war going on for "Murphy's Craw."

And the sky -- or at least the virtual sky -- is the limit!

Come on, Warren -- you can easily beat $728.16.

And I can easily be had.

Do I hear $12,432,946 -- and 75 cents?

No comments: