Monday, April 11, 2022

No thanks for this memory

The free anti-virus software on my computer wants to get to know me better.

To be more precise, it wants to get to know my wallet better.

Every once in a while it puts a pop-up on my screen, telling me of a problem it has supposedly found, a problem it can “resolve” if I allow it to do so. Of course I know that if I press “resolve” it will ask me for money.

I usually ignore such messages, but the other day it sent a pop-up that has me thinking about a problem that the software, as good as it may be, can’t resolve, no matter how many credit cards I max out.

The pop-up said my computer is cluttered with all sorts of files that I don’t need and which are clogging up the works. The software wants to get rid of them.

Considering that I could probably fit the entire contents of “Moby-Dick” several times over on my hard drive, I didn’t pay much attention to this message.

But I thought about it recently as I was waiting for a bus.

You know how it is when you’re killing time waiting for something to happen: Your mind wanders hither and yon (does anything ever wander yon and hither?) and your brain cells carom off the sides of your cerebellum. (Or maybe they carom somewhere else, if they carom at all.)

One thought led to another, then another, ad almost infinitum, and suddenly I found myself, God knows why, remembering something I hadn’t thought of in years:

The theme music for “The Galloping Gourmet.”

Remember that show? It starred a guy named Graham Kerr, and on every episode (I can even remember when it aired and what station aired it, God help me) he would spend a half-hour preparing a recipe while kidding around with the audience and brandishing a glass of wine. He seemed to want us to think he was sozzled, though I’ve read that he didn’t really drink much; apparently he was stealing a page from the Dean Martin Cookbook.

A few of the jokers at school made a meal out of Kerr’s mannerisms, although I suspect a lot of female viewers who watched the handsome young chef wouldn’t have minded a few extra helpings.

Graham Kerr spoke softly and carried a big shtick, but even the biggest of shticks eventually bows and breaks under the winds of public taste, and one day the show served its last course.

I was surprised to find that Kerr is still around — he’s 88 now — and in the years after “The Galloping Gourmet” he became a born-again Christian, repenting both his sins and the high-fat feasts he conjured up for his viewers.

Which is probably more than you want to know about Graham Kerr. I know it’s more than I want to know.

And I can’t help wondering why, at a bus stop on a cold April day, my brain couldn’t come up with a better memory: me sitting on my grandmother’s lap, playing with her bracelet that had the names of all six of us kids; or me sitting in a second-grade classroom and watching a pretty blonde — was her name Jean? — as she came in from the rain, wearing the kind of shiny yellow coat that all of us kids wore in such weather, the kind of coat that always had a distinctive plastic smell; or me sitting on a floor in my sister’s house, trying to amuse my infant niece with Playskool props as she graciously pretended that I really was amusing. (Thirty years later, she’s still gracious — and engaged to be married next year. I’m tempted to ask where all the time goes, but I’m not sure I want to know the answer.)

Memo to The App Store: If you ever come up with a program that can defrag my brain, my Visa card and I will be first in queue.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Cool post Mark! I'm glad I saw it on Linkedin.

I think about these things often, and the more I climb down that well the more anxiety it produces in me. Maybe if I go deep enough I'll hit the bottom where it doesn't dump a barrel of existential dread over my head.

Sometimes when I'm getting ready in the morning, I'll realize how robotic I'm being. Why do I brush my teeth before I shower? Why do I make coffee before my eggs? Do I even like eggs? I think I do, when was the first time I had eggs? Were they that good that I've basically eaten them ever since for breakfast? Gosh - they must have been good. Did my father cook them that specific day 30 something years ago, or was it my mother? I like my father's cooking more, but Mom's is still fine. Is it 30 years of the same preferred breakfast fine?

Why is my favorite color blue? It just is, I suppose - wait did my brain just weigh every other color in an instant and came up with the color blue? Blue's a solid choice I think, like water it can be calming if it is still. Wait, what about people who love yellow. I kind of envy them to have the courage to favor such an off-putting color. Mustard is yellow, so is piss. Maybe I think I am not a courageous person and I need to project that onto the color yellow and it's fan club that I am certainly not part of. OH GOD WHY AM I THINKING OF THESE THINGS.

It's almost as if our thoughts are already "made" for us without our awareness. It's truly as if we are looking into a magic 8 ball, and the answers are appearing from the dark inky swells. As they slowly surface to our consciousness we adapt to the thoughts we are "having." I don't think we're really deciding on much.

-Steve from PHG.